Senior Software Test Engineer - Arctic
Be Part of Building the Future
Dremio is The Easy and Open Data Lakehouse, providing self-service analytics with data warehouse functionality and data lake flexibility across all of your data. Dremio increases agility with a revolutionary data-as-code approach that adopts Git concepts to enable data experimentation, version control, and governance. In addition, Dremio breaks down data silos by simplifying ingestion into the lakehouse, and also allowing queries directly on databases and data warehouses. All of this is available through a fully managed service that not only eliminates the need to maintain infrastructure and software, but also automatically optimizes the data in the lakehouse to maximize performance for every workload.
Founded in 2015, Dremio is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. Investors include Cisco Investments, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Norwest Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, and Sapphire Ventures. For more information, visit www.dremio.com. Connect with Dremio on GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
If you, like us, say "bring it on" to exciting challenges that really do change the world, we have endless opportunities where you can make your mark.
About the role
As a senior test engineer on Dremio Arctic, you have a unique opportunity to pioneer the data-as-code market. Dremio Arctic is a next generation, intelligent metastore that enables users to use git-like semantics to work with Iceberg data. You will work with the latest open source platforms like Apache Iceberg & Nessie to build a GitHub-like experience for data.
You will plan, design, automate, and execute automation plans. Open and flexible work culture, combined with providing employees ownership of the work they do, will help you develop as a leader. The inclusive culture of the company will provide you a platform to bring fresh ideas and innovate.
What you'll be doing
- Deliver end to end quality and automation independently using agile methodologies
- Translate deep insight of architecture, product, specifications into robust test plans covering all aspects of testing including smoke, functional, reliance, performance, load, scalability and security.
- Evaluate, apply, document, and evangelize the latest tools, techniques and research insights to drive improvements into a world-class data analytics engine
- Train other engineers in best practices. Push for continuous improvement in Testing within the team and across the engineering organization.
- Develop robust test automation that is reliable and maintainable and provides accurate assessment of product quality
- Integrate test automation scripts into build system for repeatable execution
- Collaborate with other engineering and customer success functions to simulate customer data and usage patterns to execute test runs, identify and fix customer issues and make sure that customers get highly reliable, reliant, optimized Dremio experience
- Analyze and debug customer issues in customer environments.
- Actively participate in code and design reviews to maintain exceptional quality and deepen your understanding of the system architecture and implementation
What we're looking for
- BS, MS, or Equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of QA/automation engineering experience on large scale distributed systems
- Proficiency in a language like Java/C++/Python/Go/C# and automation frameworks. Nice to haves include familiarity with Cypress, Jenkins, and Datadog. Dremio is heavy on Java.
- Hands on experience in integration of automation using CI/CD tools like Jenkins
- Experience in planning and executing QA/Automation tasks to completion and taking ownership of quality during a set of sprints
- Experience in designing, implementing, executing and analyzing automated tests for complex, production system software
- Experience in analyzing deep product issues and following issue resolution
- Hands on experience of working projects on AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform
- Hands on experience with various Backend/UI automation frameworks and tools
- Ability to create reusable components to automate repeatable, manual activities
- Ability to write technical reports and summary and present to leadership team
- Passion for learning and delivering using latest technologies
- Excellent communication skills and affinity for collaboration and teamwork
- Passion and ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Hands on experience in distributed query processing or optimization
- Hands on experience with relational databases or query engines
- There is some manual testing. We'd love for there to be no manual testing. The further you could move us away from manual testing, the better.
- We are developing an on-call rotation. At present it is business hours only.
- Understanding of distributed file systems like S3 or ADLS or HDFS and HIVE
- Familiarity with Apache projects like Iceberg, Nessie, or Arrow
What we offer
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Short term / long term disability and life insurance
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Flexible PTO
- 16 hours of volunteer time off
- 12 company paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- Remote work options
- Monthly "Get Stuff Done" (GSD) Days
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Quarterly swag surprise
**Certain benefits are only allowed to full-time Dremio employees and may not be the same across all locations. #LI-JW1 #LI-Remote
The compensation range for this position is $154,545 to $209,091 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. Depending on the position offered, the on target earnings (OTE) may include a bonus, MBO or commission.
What we value
At Dremio, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to People, Thinking, and Action. Our Gnarlies (that's what we call our employees) communicate with clarity, drive accountability, and are respectful towards each other. We confront brutal facts and focus on results while operating with a sense of urgency and building a "flywheel". People who like to jump in and drive momentum will thrive in our #GnarlyLife.
Dremio is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other unlawful factor.
Dremio is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
Dremio has policies in place to protect the personal information that employees and applicants disclose to us. Please click here to review the privacy notice.