Automation Implementation Engineer - Distribution & Warehousing (REMOTE)
If you are a current employee at Ryder (not a Contractor or temporary employee through a staffing agency), please click here (http://wd5.myworkday.com/ryder/d/task/1422$3.htmld) to log in to Workday to apply using the internal application process.
You are the driving force behind our company.
Start your career with Ryder today!
The Automation Implementation Engineering supports the solution development, execution of solution and implementation of automation technology within Ryder’s warehouse network by actively engaging in the design and facilitating the use of warehouse automation to support new business and existing operations. Drive change through focused CI efforts, through automation, to higher levels of performance in safety, quality, performance, cost and growth each and every day. Effectively engineering methodologies, tools, root cause analysis and waste reduction with a bias for action. This high influence position will interface with employee at all levels and various functions / departments across the business and within a facility. This position supports assigned VP of Operations (Business Unit/Vertical) and reports to the Automation Director. This individual must possess a willingness and desire to work directly with his/her cross-functional peers and their direct reports in the business units to define and set a strategy for engineering efforts and automation activities for new and existing operations.
Ess ential Functions
Support Continuous Improvement Engineering and Solutions Engineering Team by identifying best opportunities for automating processes within Ryder distribution network. Providing Return on Investment analyses, implementation plans, and project management support throughout the validation and execution process. Analyses requirements require a strong analytical and engineering skill-set to calculate automation cost impacts, labor savings, and other financial and operational effects for any automated solution.
- Provide formal and informal training, coaching, mentoring to Ryder associates on-site and involved with automation solution development of available automation technologies that fit Ryder process profiles.
- Support business start-ups, retrofits and expansions including pricing inputs, go-live and steady state certifications. Oversee all functions related to quality assurance and processes for a start-up or expansion.
- Develop advanced competency in wide range of engineering methods, Lean tools, and quality standards and coaches employees in the use and implementation of CI, Quality Assurance, & Lean principles. Applies company methodologies and tools and engineering methodologies/tools such as product slotting, studying labor standards (time studies), layouts and optimization of flow, data profiling and analysis, and resource modeling to improve distribution and/or transportation operations. Provide regular reports of data and actions to measure progress against the site objectives. Makes Inventory and/or Supply Chain strategy recommendations.
- Serve as the business owner, establish and regulate the standards for Quality Management Systems based on company and/or industry standards. Oversee internal auditing to ensure regulatory compliance and certification. Facilitate regular Performance Reviews with operations leadership and monitor metrics. Develop/implement strategy to manage scope and meet customer expectations.
- Work with Automation Solutions Engineer and Procurement team to define best vendors/integrators to execute solution once a project has been awarded
- Help develop scope of work for project for procurement exercise
- Work with cross-functional team that includes, Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, Facilities, Real Estate, and possibly others to ensure automation solution meets all expectations for success
- Work with engineering ensure layout includes all requirements needed for automation
- Help facilitate User Acceptance Testing for implemented automation
- Will travel to implementation sites during critical start-up phases and when required to help trouble-shoot implementation challenges
- Develop PFMEA’s for automation along with response and mitigation plans for possible process/equipment failures.
- Track cost and schedule of automation project
- Verify post-go-live automation operating as planned
- Create technical documents such as operator manuals and troubleshooting guides to support ownership handoff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Lean: Proficiency with: Creating Cell Designs, Managing Material Flow, Computer Aided Design (AutoCAD), Automation Design Specification Experience, Lean Mfg Systems, Developing and most important managing to: Leader Standard Work, Visual Management Systems and Management Accountability Systems, Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA).
- Warehouse Engineering: Mastery with: Product Slotting, Distribution Center MHE, Studying Labor Standards (time studies), Distribution Layouts and optimization of flow, Warehouse Metrics, Headcount rationalization and forecasting, Data Profiling, Working with ambiguous data sets and customer requirements to develop a Supply Chain Solution, WMS Functionality and Processes required to implement engineering designs/solutions/proposals Aptitude to learn a new business and systems.
- Effective interpersonal skills, Builds and manages effective teams, System and change implementation skills, Strong verbal and written communication skills..
- Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors), Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, Flexibility to operate and self-driven to excel in a fast-paced environment, Capable of multi-tasking, highly organized, with excellent time management skills
- Bachelor's degree required in Engineering, Business, Supply Chain Bachelors Degree or minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
- Ten (10) years or more in the Distribution, Warehousing and/or Manufacturing, Transportation, Supply Chain Logistics industry required
- Ten (10) years or more in the Distribution, Warehousing, Transportation, Supply Chain Logistics industry preferred
- Five (5) years or more in the Warehousing Automation, Autonomous Vehicles, and IoT technologies preferred
- American Production Inventory Control Society (APICS) and/or Supply Chain Logistics Certification
- Expected travel 40%-60%,
- Minimal weekend, only when critical
Applicants from Colorado: : Salary is determined based on internal equity; internal salary ranges; market data/ranges; applicant’s skills; prior relevant experience; certain degrees or certifications, etc. The salary for this position ranges from $90,000 to $125,000. Salaries may be supplemented with a bonus as applicable and/or as business conditions allow.
Applicants from Colorado: Ryder offers comprehensive health and welfare benefits, to include medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance and disability insurance options, as well as paid time off for vacation, illness, bereavement, family and parental leave, and a tax-advantaged 401(k) retirement savings plan.
Job Category: Continuous Improvement
Ryder is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.