Senior Engineer **NEW PAY RATE**
Under administrative direction, is responsible for performing professional and supervisory work directing the activities of an Engineering section or division. Working conditions are primarily in an office environment. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
Development Services, 1901 S. Alamo, San Antonio, Texas 78207
7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday
- Supervises engineering staff in the development, design, construction, and maintenance of principal public works projects.
- Provides information both verbally and in writing to the City Council or the general public regarding any concerns.
- Advises other City departments on matters related to technical engineering issues.
- Reviews design plans, project specifications, and cost estimates submitted by staff; attends review meetings; and identifies and solves design problems.
- Develops policies for the section/division within the framework of any applicable regulations.
- Develops programs to improve the efficiency of the division/section.
- Approves plans and specifications for construction contracts; recommends the letting of contract; ensures that work is performed according to the provisions of the contract.
- Requests and evaluates consultant fee proposals; monitors and approves compensation for professional engineering services.
- Reviews all bid packages prepared by consultants; attends pre-bid conferences; analyzes bid results; makes recommendations on accepting/rejecting bids.
- Develops and implements section/division budget.
- Provides legal testimony.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from an accredited college, university or engineering school approved by a State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers.
- Six (6) years' experience in engineering.
- No substitution for education allowed.
- Licensed to practice engineering in the State of Texas as a Professional Engineer.
- OR Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) from another state with the ability to obtain a P.E. license in the State of Texas within 6 months of employment.
- Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
- Civil Engineering.
- Direct Traffic & Design Engineering experience.
- Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE)
- Knowledgeable with the COSA UDC Code, MUTCD, AASHTO, TxDOT Roadway Design Manual.
- If selected for this position, official transcripts, diplomas, certifications and licenses must be submitted at the time of processing. Unofficial transcripts and copies of other relevant documents may be attached to the application for consideration in advance.
- Please be advised that if selected for this position, information regarding employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position will be needed for employment verification. Applicants claiming military service to meet the experience requirement for this position may attach a DD214 to the application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applicants are permitted to substitute two years of related full-time experience for one year of higher education or one year of related higher education for two years of experience in order to meet the minimum requirements of the job. One year of full-time experience is defined as 30 or more hours worked per week for 12 months. One year of higher education is defined as 30 credit hours completed at an accredited college or university.
- Applicants selected for employment with the City of San Antonio in this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a physical, motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted.
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations related to engineering projects.
- Knowledge of engineering related computer programs.
- Knowledge of administrative and management practices.
- Knowledge of budget preparation.
- Knowledge of engineering mathematics.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard and other basic office equipment.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to supervise, train, and evaluate assigned staff.
- Ability to conduct engineering research and apply results to engineering problems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain good public relations.
- Ability to interpret legal documents related to engineering.
- Ability to prepare detailed technical reports.
- Ability to plan and schedule engineering work on both long and short term goals.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.