Lead Software Engineer (Remote)
The Lead Software Engineer role is an additional responsibility typically assigned to a Software Engineer or Sr. Software Engineer. In addition to direct programming, this position provides hands-on, technical programming support to a Ghostpunch project development team, assisting the Producer and Director of Technology in affecting the most competent and efficient utilization of programming resources allocated to that team. As the assigned Lead this person is empowered, accordingly, to provide general guidance and input to fellow programmers on that same team regarding the quality and technical aspects of the work produced. Provides input to the Producer as to how best to efficiently utilize and schedule technical resources to help ensure an efficient workflow throughout the duration of the project. As team Programming adviser this person assists the Producer in making sure that the overall quality of Ghostpunch programming is consistently equal to and/or greater than the standards established by the Director of Technology, carrying out those duties with minimal supervision. In addition to hands-on programming duties, the Lead Software Engineer assists in other management duties such as scoping projects, writing tech docs, and personnel evaluation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish a solid working relationship with the Director of Technology, team programmers and their assigned Producer.
- Provide leadership and general technical guidance to fellow Software Engineers assigned to their development team.
- Participate in the game programming design process.
- Maintain regular communication with other game development disciplines (i.e. Art, Design and audio) in order to determine how their efforts will affect a game's programming.
- Write and debug core engine and game code.
- Write advanced tools and other utilities to support work on projects.
- Anticipate, identify and articulate problem areas and develop preventative solutions.
- Assist less experienced Software Engineers with various tasks as needed.
- Accurately estimate the amount of time needed to complete each task assigned.
- Provide input as to the project's technical feasibility and helps the Producer and Lead Designer to ensure that the project design, artwork, sound etc. fits within the technical requirements of the platforms.
- Responsible for creating the Technical Design Document (TDD) breaking down the project into modules and designing links between those modules. Work with the Producer to incorporate any changes to the TDD.
- Work with the Lead Artist to set up a directory structure to be used by all team members for the duration of the project and archiving.
- Proactively inform the Producer of potential changes to the work schedule, resource requirements, and any situation/condition that may adversely affect group dynamics and/or morale of the Software Engineers assigned to the project.
- Under the direction of the Producer, schedule and coordinate the team's programming resources so as to ensure an efficient work flow throughout the duration of the project.
- Must possess superior oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work independently with little to no supervision.
- The ability to successfully communicate with Artists, Designers and Sound Engineers.
- Strong general computer skills and experience
- Working knowledge of C/C++.
- Working knowledge of assembly language.
- Deep understanding of game code design.
- A desire and ability to understand and optimize the development workflow across all disciplines.
- The ability to write code for any aspect of a game.
- Hands-on knowledge of basic game design and implementation.
- Deep understanding of gaming industry hardware and software trends.
- Possess up-to-date console product knowledge including technical submission requirements and knowledge of build distribution.
- Able to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- A strong desire to write game code.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Typically requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 3 years of experience as a Programmer/Software Engineer in the gaming industry or an equivalent combination of education and practical work experience.
- Must have experience in Programming/Software Design on at least 1 shipping game product from beginning to end.
- Must have prior management/leadership training and/or experience.
Why Ghostpunch Games?
- Remote, Hybrid, and On-site policy.
- Collaborative, open-minded, creative environment
- Teamwork makes the dream work (as true as it is corny!)
- Multiple projects available to work on
- AAA quality, Genre-spanning, PC/Console/VR
- Sony 2K, Activision, Warner Brothers, Gearbox, and more!
Top/Recent projects include
- Outriders, Risk of Rain 2, Borderlands 3, Mortal Kombat 11, Battleborn, Civilization VI, VainGlory, and more!
- Learn more about our partnerships and projects here! https://www.ghostpunch.com/
- 401K with company matching
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Paid Holidays
- PTO accrual
Ghostpunch Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.